Obsession of the Week

>> Thursday, July 1, 2010

she could be a little obsessive, livingferal
I'm the kind of girl who develops a lot of obsessions. It's a falling in and out of love of sorts. I find something that really "speaks to me" (whatever that means) and I become kind of manic about it. Sometimes I fall out of love with whatever it is just as hard and as fast as I fell in love (hello field hockey, clarinet, and running). Other times, my obsession endures. It can last for months, sometimes years. Either way, it happens fast and it happens often.

I thought it might be fun to share some of my obsessions with you here in a weekly installment. Since I'm never really lacking in the obsession department, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep this column going for awhile.

This week my obsession is Florence + the Machine. I'm madly in love (sorry hubby!). So in love that, not only have I been listening to her album Lungs every time I'm in the car, but I'm also listening to it on repeat throughout my five-hour shift at work.

The sound is a combination of rock and soul with boatloads of emotion and a healthy dose of eccentricity. Florence's velvety voice reminds me of a sultry lounge singer-- similar to another of my obsessions, Cat Power. In terms of lyrics, her songs are not for the faint of heart (to give you an idea of what I mean, one of her songs is called "Kiss with a Fist"). Dark and emotional, she is one of a kind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Search

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP