C'mon, Bra

>> Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Warning, this post may contain more information about me than you'd like to know. Proceed with caution. ;)

I had the Today Show on in the background while I was doing a little work from home this morning and caught the tail end of a segment on bras. I can't even tell you what the segment was about (I think I saw a headline about the bra turning 100?), but it still got me thinking.

I have a love-hate relationship with the bra. For the most part, my girly side adores them. I love the idea of a pretty bra, even if it's one that makes absolutely no sense to wear under your clothes (I'm talking to you, $257 La Perla Venere Push-Up with your feather tassle). There's another side of me that wishes I didn't have to wear one (trust me, I do). And then there's the side of me that loathes bras because it seems to be impossible to find one that fits me properly.

Apparently, all woman have one breast that is larger than the other. For me, this difference seems to be significant. No matter what I do, my right breast always tries to escape. It creates a lovely bubble effect that results in staring for all the wrong reasons.

Enter Linda the Bra Lady. Working in Manhattan's Upper East Side, Linda has made it her mission to help women find the right fit. Her website even has a troubleshooting section that gives answers to a variety of bra problems, from falling shoulder straps to lumpectomies. If the tips on her website don't help, you can also schedule an appointment to be fitted by Linda (of course, it helps if you live in the New York metropolitan area). I plan to combine a couple of her tips (see: Solutions for Uneven Breasts and "Quad Boob" Solutions, hahaha) in the hopes of finding the right fit. We shall see if I need more help than that.

For now, I've collected some lovely bras that are more like little works of art than undergarments. Enjoy!

Clockwise from top left:
Minnie Cotton Triangle Bra by LoveBabyGrand
Organic Bamboo Jersey Criss-Crossed Bralette by ClareBare
Curiouser Silk Chiffon Balcony Bra by GuidedByStars
Ellen Red Silk Halter Bra by Hopeless
Smoke and Mirrors - Tribal Steampunk Bra by thegypsykiss
Alice by curlywurly

Leopard Chiffon Soft Bra/style TANPOPO by naomilingerie
Martini Olive Green Bra Set with a High Waisted Pantie by ladramaqueen


Photo Source: La Perla

4 comments:

Love Baby Grand May 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Thanks for including the Minnie bra in your selection.

Being a bit of a geek about these things, I once saw a video of Linda The Bra Lady talking about finding the right fitting bra. She's a bit of a genius on the subject, isn't she?

Jen May 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

She's brilliant! It's amazing how something as simple as wearing a bra that actually fits can make you look ten pounds lighter and bring you new found confidence.

Rebecca May 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

This is a great post! I'm with you on the love-hate relationship. I do love that feathery bra you featured front and center... bras can be so femininely romantic and downright sexy that you just can't help but feel so womanly in them. But, wear one all day? Eegads! Fortunately for me, I am mostly at home in my little house in the woods, so I rarely put one of the things on. That doesn't mean I don't own a few... I have a drawer devoted to them. And when I dress up, I have to wear one because at my age and after 3 kids, my breasts aren't the happy, perky things they used to be! Of course it helps when I'm dressing, or undressing, that my husband makes oohing and aahing sounds about certain bras!

Jen May 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Hahaha I know just what you mean, Rebecca. As silly as it sounds, there's something very empowering about a good bra!

Post a Comment

Archive

Search

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP