Yum: Banana Pancakes

>> Wednesday, May 12, 2010


So after my last (kind of nasty) attempt at making banana pancakes, I was on the hunt for a delicious, healthy recipe that tastes a little less like cardboard. I wanted moist. I wanted smooth. I wanted sinfully delicious! After an arduous search (read: typing "banana pancakes" into Google), I found a great one on recipezaar.com:

(note: if you're like my husband and are not so into the whole banana thing, this recipe would be just as delicious with a cup of your favorite berries instead!)



Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (I doubled it!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (I used vanilla soy milk)
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 egg whites
Directions:
  • Sift the flour into a medium-sized mixing bowl (this is especially important for the wheat flour, as there can be chunky pieces in it).
  • Combine the rest of the dry ingredients (not the bananas) with the flour.
  • In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas.
  • Mix the wet ingredients with the bananas.
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the medium-sized bowl that holds the dry ingredients. Stir.
  • Heat your griddle on medium/medium high heat and spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
  • Scoop the batter on and cook until bubbles begin to appear. Flip.
Serving size: 5 (if you need less, check out the link for the recipe. There's an easy serving size converter on the website.... Another great feature of the website? The nutrition facts are given on a panel on the side)

I drizzled these tasty little guys with honey for an added kick of sweetness. Serve with some berries on the side and you have a (sweet!) healthy breakfast that you'll be craving again tomorrow morning! (Can you tell I'm a big fan of this recipe?)

And banana pancakes always make me think of Jack Johnson...

3 comments:

Rebecca May 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

These sound fabulous. Unfortunately I'm not much of a breakfast eater and while I enjoy a good breakfast meal for supper sometimes, my husband, who does eat breakfast every day, does not. Ah the dilemma of it all.

I've been reading about your non-chocolate week with much interest! The foods you ate to "detox" sound great to me... the kinds of whole, fresh foods I typically enjoy! Glad to hear you could make it for the full seven days without chocolate! Yay for willpower and determination! And yay for feeling great too!

And your blog is really quite lovely! Just thought I'd let you know.

Jen May 13, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

Thanks so much Rebecca, you're so sweet!

My week of whole, fresh foods gave me a new perspective on eating. I've been continuing the trend (with some chocolate sprinkled in there!). A post on that is coming soon!

Babongo Handmade May 15, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

Jack Johnson's awesome. Love his music, will be attending a concert here in the Netherlands on 21st June.

Love banana pancakes too, by the way. Good luck with detoxing :)

Post a Comment

Archive

Search

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP